The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) representing education workers across the province has stated that they will be engaging in a full withdrawal of services across the province on November 4.
If the full withdrawal of services occurs, in-school classes will be cancelled and all LDCSB schools will be closed to students and staff. Learning for students will continue remotely through the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Teachers will be connecting with their students with details.
Other programs and buildings will be affected as follows:
- Co-op placements are canceled for the day.
- Daycare centres located at LDCSB schools will be closed.
- All before and after school programs will be cancelled.
- All Community Use of Schools programs/events will be cancelled.
- St. Patrick Adult and Continuing Education will be closed.
- Family Centres located at LDCSB schools will be closed.
- International language programs will be cancelled on Saturday, November 5.
- The Board office will remain open. Non-CUPE employees are encouraged to work remotely, if possible.
We understand this may have an enormous impact on families. Parents and guardians need to consider alternate childcare arrangements. These decisions were made in the interests of student and staff safety, security and well-being. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this time.
Please monitor your email, SchoolMessenger as well as the LDCSB website and social media channels for any updates.
CUPE represents roughly 1,300 of the LDCSB’s 3,500 employees, including educational assistants (EAs), designated early childhood educators (DECEs), school office staff, custodial and maintenance staff, and others.